PORTABLEAPPS.COM: SWISS ARMY KNIFE FOR OUR DAILY MOBILE LIFE
Today, it’s undeniable fact that we are living and relying on a mobile computing. Office works, multimedia tasks, building up online community, etc. are all centralized in portable devices. No more must-sit in front of big CPU. In fact, wherever and whenever we go, the demand of staying close to the favorite applications—or even the “obligatory” applications—is a must. So, portable applications should be the answer of this need.
Portable application set for Windows
You might have already known PortableApps.com. This very cool application set is geared with a lot of portable applications that are managed under many categories and mostly are FOSS applications (originally were developed and run under Linux but also were developed to run for Windows).
- Free (except the internet bills, it’s your own responsibility :D), free to download, free to use, and free to distribute;
- PortableApps.com’s platform and the applications are small in size (but, the more you put applications there, you will need more spaces in your portable storage device);
- Can be put in a USB flash-drive or any other portable storage and run directly from there, and even can be put somewhere in our PC/laptop so that we do not need to install any application that may burden or mess up our operating system;
- No installation or changes in our operating system, no registry problem;
- We can choose various applications the we need and then install them into PortableApps.com’s platform or run them independently without the main platform;
- No meaningful memory consumption when running application;
- The applications have the same features and function as their “normal” version (run like not a portable version);
- Not only provides applications for office and other work needs, but PortableApps.com also provides dozens of entertaining games and utilities (disk and registry cleaner, drive defragment tools, players, etc.);
- Platform and applications update is quite often—directly when we “call” the main platform of PortableApps.com and when we are connected to the internet—so we can always get the latest applications pack. The platform and applications update need our agreement (we may confirm the update or cancel the update);
- We can customize the looks (color, theme, UI language, etc.).
The Bad (but not really “the bad”)
- All applications are from FOSS projects, so for you who used to work with paid and “closed-source” application, you’ll not find your favorite apps (Photoshop, CorelDraw, Ms. Office, etc.);
|Your favorite apps||The substitutes (portable version)|
|Adobe Reader||Sumatra PDF Reader|
|Nero (or other burning tools)||cdrtfe, CDex|
|Chrome / Firefox browser||Chrome / Firefox browser|
|Media Player||Media Player|
|TuneUp Utilities||Wise Disk CleanerWise Registry Cleaner UltraDefrag SmartDefrag|
|Easeus Recovery Wizard||Wise Data Recovery|
- Since I have no stable and fast internet connection, the update process may get failed for several times. OK, it’s not the PortableApps.com’s fault. It’s the problem of my internet speed :D;
- Because several file formats cannot always be compatible in FOSS applications (let’s say that Photoshop file format can’t be well opened in Gimp), you’ll get frustrated if you don’t familiarize yourself with FOSS application first;
- Because portable applications are the light version of their installable version, you may find some apps get crashed or unstable for once or twice.
Posted on September 8, 2014, in Portable Applications, Utilities and tagged Disk Utilities, Education Software, HDD Tools, Portable Applications, Software Management. Bookmark the permalink. 3 Comments.